Alta Via 2 (day 12): Passo Cereda to Rifugio Boz
After a few cruisey ones, today is a slightly longer day, with the initial climb up to Passo Comedon presenting the greatest obstacle. Still, it’s not overly difficult and certainly remains enjoyable until the very end, dropping you into the meadows of Rifugio Boz and impossibly close to the end of your AV2 journey!
This comprehensive guide to Day 12 of Alta Via 2 contains detailed section times, route recommendations, adventurous side trips, via ferrata, and heaps of insider tips— use it to plan your hike & then refer back on the trail so you always know what to expect!
For a complete Alta Via 2 planning guide, check out this post: COMING SOON
Alta Via 2: Day 12 overview
- Trail hours: 6.5hrs
- Distance: 12.5km
- Elevation gain & loss: 1175m up & 825m down
- Huts: Rifugio Boz
Passo Cereda to Passo del Comedon (3hrs)
The morning begins with a gentle uphill along a wide road that transitions to a trail after about 20min. The trail then descends steeply down a wide forest track, which finally lets up on a wide undulating path with pleasant walking.
Less than an hour into the hike, the trail forks right and climbs steeply through the trees. Shortly after it levels out slightly, the trail turns right once again and gains steeply from this point onwards.
About 2hrs into the hike, cross a scree field that finally affords a bit of shade and then ascend via occasional cables and a lot of rock towards the high point.
The steepest part of the climb lasts about an hour and it’s important to keep an eye on the red markers (as well as the GPS) to avoid straying into the dirty gully on the far right— my parents managed to get off-route here and said it was truly miserable, while my climb farther to the left was definitely manageable.
The valley floor appears impossibly far below as you continue ascending, but just over 3hrs after departing Passo Cereda and you should finally crest over windy Passo del Comedon at 2,130m.
Passo del Comedon to Bivvaco Feltre (30min)
Dropping off the other side of the pass, follow a trail to the right and begin descending steeply into a rocky basin. The bivouac is visible below— 2 red shelters equipped with 20 beds between them, blankets, a stove, and some basic cookwear.
A few minutes farther down the trail, there are several water sources where you can fill up (still recommended to use a filter).
Bivvaco Feltre to Rifugio Boz (3hrs)
From the bivouac, there’s a small bit of downhill before you begin a sweaty uphill climb through the bushes, reaching the soaring views of Col dei Bech at 1,960m around 45min later.
Here, the trail levels out beautifully for the next hour, traversing around the hillsides, more or less maintaining elevation on a comfortable trail.
Eventually, wrap around to a junction at Pass de Mura, from which it’s a pleasant 10min drop through the grassy meadows to Rifugio Boz.
Night 12: Rifugio Boz
By this point of AV2, the dayhikers have thinned entirely and even many of the thru-hikers have bailed out, so you can expect to have a very quiet and intimate experience at Rifugio Boz, seated family-style on 2 tables in the tiny interior.
The owners have a small paddock nearby and told us that they only have to kill 1 cow each year to provide all the meat served in the hut, especially since they accompany the meal so generously with polenta, an enormous block of grilled cheese, and a delicious cabbage salad— among my very favourite hut dinners! Reserve Rifugio Boz.
- Rooms: 58€ half board, 28€ room only
- Food: half board only, limited food & drink menu
- Showers: 5€ for 25L of water
- Connectivity: Wifi, no reception
- Alpine club discount: -10€ half board
RIFUGIO GUIDE COMING SOON
Read more about Alta Via 2
- Alta Via 2 (day 1): Bressanone to Rifugio Genova + Via Ferrata Sass d’Putia
- Alta Via 2 (day 2): Rifugio Genova to Rifugio Puez + Via Ferrata Piz Duleda
- Alta Via 2 (day 3): Rifugio Puez to Rifugio Pisciadú + Via Ferrata Gran Cir, Piz da Cir, Brigata Tridentina
- Alta Via 2 (day 4): Rifugio Pisciadú to Piz Boè + Cima Pisciadú
- Alta Via 2 (day 5): Piz Boè to Rifugio Castiglioni Marmolada
- Alta Via 2 (day 7): Lago di Fedaia to San Pellegrino + Via Ferrata delle Trincee
- Alta Via 2 (day 8): Passo San Pellegrino to Rifugio Volpi al Mulaz
- Alta Via 2 (day 9): Rifugio Mulaz to Rifugio Pradidali
- Alta Via 2 (day 10): Rifugio Pradidali to Rifugio Treviso + Via Ferrata Porton & Nico Gusella
- Alta Via 2 (day 11): Rifugio Treviso to Passo Cereda + Via Ferrata Canalone
- MORE COMING SOON